The interactive entertainment opportunity
Watch our new sizzle reel and discover Entain’s vision for the future
During our Capital Markets Day, one of the new areas of growth we explored in detail was interactive entertainment, in particular esports. By 2025 we estimate the esports wagering market could be worth around $12bn, opening up a new opportunity for growth for Entain.
Esports has a growing audience. There are over 300m Esports viewers already today and by 2025 that is expected to have grown to over 430m
In esports, players can be grouped into three broad categories:
- Train at least 8 hours every day
- Being paid and/or sponsored to be a part of a team that compete at major tournaments
- Often organised by or with the major game manufacturers.
- Mostly enthusiastic players, with some trying to get into professional teams
- Often ranked by skill and performance
- Some make a living streaming their game play on platforms like Twitch
- A fairly sizeable untapped betting market
- Largest market – seeking general entertainment
- Spend their leisure time watching streamed play, playing on their own or with friends
- Typically watch little or no conventional television content but seek entertainment through the gaming ecosystem
The potential for the esports market is huge, and it is growing at a staggering pace. We are now on a path to create the first scalable esports skill based wagering community that will drive further significant value for our stakeholders.